Monday, October 24, 2011

Classroom Mission

Our school-wide theme this year is The Leader in Me. What is the Leader In Me? "The Leader in Me is a whole-school transformation model that acts like the operating system of a computer — it improves performance of all other programs. Based on The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People®, The Leader in Me produces transformational results such as higher academic achievement, fewer discipline problems, and increased engagement among teachers and parents. Better yet, The Leader in Me equips students with the self-confidence and skills they need to thrive in the 21st century economy."(www.leaderinme.org)

We are all working in and out of school with the 7 Habits of Healthy Living to help us become leaders in our lives. I have not created separate lesson plans or set time aside to teach about the 7 habits. The language truly comes up naturally in our day. We begin everyday with "the end in mind." By doing calendar and reviewing our day we can plan and have a clear expectation of what we want to accomplish. I talk to the students in the morning about "being proactive." When we work with partners we "think win-win".  As we listen to what our friends have to say "we seek first to understand, then to be understood." With this focus in mind we thought it would be good practice to create a classroom mission and "synergize" together. First, we began by discussing what a mission was.My students told me that a mission is something we have to finish... like a spy has to complete a mission or our military has missions to do. Then we brainstormed some words that we wanted to include in our classroom mission....I don't know why I get so surprised when my students exceed my expectations?? I suppose it is moments like this remind me why I love my job so much.   AND SO with wonderful synergy came Mrs. Meyer's Classroom Mission!

Our Mission is to work towards being independent and active learners. Our classroom promises to be friendly, polite, take care of our Earth and to be remembered as leaders.




No comments: