Sunday, November 6, 2011

Mystery Readers

I wanted to take the time to thank our first 2 Mystery Readers! Kendall's mom and Mckenna's grandmother were our first mystery readers this year. Every other week we have a surprise reader come to our classroom and read a book of their choice. Another first grade teacher got me hooked on this wonderful way to open up the classroom to family and friends of our students (Thanks Nicole!). I have a sign up book with all the dates for the year out at our Open House in October as well as at Parent Teacher Conferences. I also put available dates in my classroom newsletter. Parents sign up or connect me with a family member/ friend that may be interested in participating. A week before the guest is to come in, I send a "top secret" reminder with instructions to send back 5 Mystery Reader Clues for me to read to the students everyday leading up to the guests arrival. You should see the students faces light up with excitement when they try to guess who our reader could be! We look forward to meeting the rest of our mystery guests this year.  



For my fellow teacher friends -
Here is a google doc. copy of the Mystery Reader sign up and reminder letters. 

No comments: